Charles Evelyn FORREST (1876-1915)
He followed his Grandfather John FORREST’s footsteps and joined the army. On 16th Oct 1895 he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Battalion (Militia) Oxfordshire Light Infantry and on 24th Apr 1897 promoted to Lieutenant. 1st Dec 1897 he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant in the Oxfordshire Light Infantry and on 25th Oct 1898 promoted to Lieutentant.
He served in the South African War 1899-1902 and was employed with the Mounted Infantry, taking part in the operations in the Orange Free State Feb to May 1900, including actions at Vet River (5th-6th May 1900) and Zand River, involved in operations in the Transvaal in May and June 1900, including action near Johannesburg, operations in Cape Colony, south of Orange River 1890-1900. He was briefly resident in Cowley Military Barracks before being involved in operations in the Transvaal May to July 1901, and Oct 1901 to 31st May 1902, and those in Orange River Colony July to Oct 1901 (slightly wounded).
He was mentioned in Despatches "In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa" being awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal with three clasps and the King's South Africa Medal with two clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. The Insignia were presented by the King on 29th Oct 1901 and on 22nd Mar 1903 he was promoted to Captain (antedated to 22nd Feb 1903).
He was Adjutant to the 6th Battalion Gloucestershire Light Regiment from 6th Oct 1910 to 31st Jul 1911 and served with the Indian Expeditionary Force in Mesopotamia. He was recorded as living in Westbury-on-Trym fir the 1911 census
He married at Iffley, on 20th Aug 1910, Ruth Mary HOLMES À COURT, 2nd daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel the Honourable Edward HOLMES À COURT.
- General Register Office, Births, Wycombe, GRO Ref. 1876/Q3/3A/534
- Public Record Office, England Census, PRO Ref. RG11/2574/23/9
- Public Record Office, England Census, PRO Ref. RG12/2549/13/20
- Uppingham School Roll, 1824-1905 – Uppingham School (1906) p274
- London Gazette #26671 (15th Oct 1895) p5642
- London Gazette #26845 (23rd Apr 1897) p2251
- London Gazette #26915 (30th Nov 1897) p7178
- London Gazette #27023 (15th Nov 1898) p6693
- Public Record Office, England Census, PRO Ref. RG13/1383/9/1
- De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour – The Marquis De Ruvigny (1922) p122
- London Gazette #27353 (10th Sep 1901) p5953
- London Gazette #27359 (27th Sep 1901) p6322
- London Gazette #27551 (12th May 1903) p2988
- London Gazette #27583 (4th Aug 1903) p4901
- London Gazette #28426 (21st Oct 1910) p7438
- Public Record Office, England Census, PRO Ref. RG14/15098/319/9/6/81
- General Register Office, Marriages, Headington, GRO Ref. 1910/Q3/3A/2255
- General Register Office, War Deaths, Army Officers 1914-1921, GRO Ref. 1915/0.2/339
- Last Will and Testament of Charles Evelyn Forrest (2nd June 1916)