Guy Archibald FORREST (1879-1934)
Guy spent two years in the South African Constabulary then on 2nd September 1914 joined the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force. Whilst in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry on 19th December 1914 he was promoted to Corporal and on 20th December 1914 he embarked from Southampton to Versailles, France. He was promoted to Sergeant on 17th March 1915 but was taken as a casualty to Sheffield Hospital on 15th May 1915 where he spent two months recovering. He was awarded the 1914-1915 Star for services in the Theatre of War in France whilst in the Corps (authorised on 28th November 1922).
On 9th November 1915 Guy was discharged from the Canadian Army to join the New Army in England. He was promoted from temporary 2nd Lieutenant to temporary Lieutenant on 1st July 1917. Whilst army records exist for Guy’s time in the Canadian Force, the British World War I service records were destroyed by a World War II bomb.
Guy appears to have spent some time travelling after the war as he is recorded as a passenger on the SS Tahiti from Mansfield, Australia arriving in San Francisco, California, America on 17th April 1925. He is also recorded as a passenger on the Oronsay from Sydney, Australia arriving in Liverpool on 28th September 1933
He married at The Church of Annunciation, Chislehurst, Kent, on 20th April 1909, Ellen Dorothy EGERTON, daughter of Hubert Decimus EGERTON and Annie HORNER.
His wife, known by her middle name Dorothy, died on 30th September 1964 at 18 St Mildreds Road, Westgate-on-Sea, Margate, Kent, leaving their only child
- i. Charles Evelyn Macintosh FORREST
- General Register Office, Births, Wycombe, GRO Ref. 1879/Q2/3A/562
- Public Record Office, England Census, PRO Ref. RG11/2574/23/9
- Public Record Office, England Census, PRO Ref. RG12/2549/6/5
- Uppingham School Roll, 1824-1905 – Uppingham School (1906) p297
- Attestation Paper – Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force, Regiment 853 (2nd Sep 1914)
- Promotions or Appointments – Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force, Regiment 853
- British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, Regiment 853 (1914-1920)
- London Gazette No.30520 (12th Feb 1918) p4901
- California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957
- UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
- General Register Office, Marriages, Bromley, GRO Ref. 1909/Q2/2A/981
- General Register Office, Deaths, Bodmin, GRO Ref. 1934/Q1/5C/88
- Last Will and Testament of Guy Archibald Forrest (15th February 1934)